Thursday, July 19, 2012

FARMERS MARKET PASTA

Is it Friday yet?? Almost, almost... In the meantime, I'm going to show you how to make a delicious and simple pasta recipe that you can make straight from a visit to your local farmers market.


My mother-in-law arrived yesterday from Syracuse to spend a few days with us and right before she got here I realized I had nothing in the house to make for dinner. I took a quick trip to the farmers market up the street and picked up some fresh veggies from upstate Connecticut.

(2) zucchini
(2) yellow squash
(3) tomatoes
(2) ears of corn

I came home and started chopping up all of the veggies:



I started by sautéing the tomatoes in olive oil and garlic


I added my squash and corn


I knew this was going to be the sauce and it needed some more juice to cover the pasta so I added this can of tomato sauce and then filled the empty can with water and dumped that in as well. White wine would have been better than the water but I just couldn't spare the little amount we had left - I was going to need that for dinner :) 


Oh and salt!! I salt as I go and decided some fresh basil would be nice as well. I chopped up a couple leaves and threw that in at the end. 

I cooked my pasta, about half of a box of Barilla Penne and then added it to the sauce when it was al dente:


I transferred the pasta to a serving bowl, added parmesan and served :) 


This dish fed 4 including two hungry men. 

Oh, and I completely forgot to mention that we had some left over chicken in the fridge which I added to the sauce right before adding the pasta. If you're looking for protein, the chicken definitely worked well with the dish. 

xo, Liz 

3 comments:

  1. how delicious!
    wish I could've been the extra hungry participant!
    think i'll whisk up a bit for my dinner!
    yummy!
    hugs..
    Loui♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so yum! I will definitely have to try this sometime soon. Great post:)
    Natasha
    Love Design*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Will be on my list to try. Thanks for sharing!

    ~Melinda

    ReplyDelete