Monday, January 23, 2012

DIY Seashell Shadowbox

I wanted to share with you one of my all time favorite projects which I think turn out so beautiful for not a lot of skill or time, and are some of my best sellers on Etsy.

The process is very simple and just takes a little bit of planning in terms of what you want your background to be and which shells you want to use for your composition.

I used leftover Kravet grasscloth wallpaper, scallop shells and pieces of broken coral, along with faux pearls to go inside the scallops. The shadowbox is from IKEA, and for the low cost ($20) I don't think you can beat the look.

If you haven't figured it out yet, all you do is cut the grasscloth (or any leftover wallpaper or patterned of your choice) to size, arrange your shells, and hot glue! I suggest using a lot of glue to ensure the shells won't go anywhere over time. Sign your name on the bottom right of the mat, and viola:





I sold these in a set of two and can't wait to see how the look hanging up in my customer's home :) 

6 comments:

  1. They are so pretty - I love this idea for shells found on a vacation. Like a little vacation memory box for those of us who don't live in a beachy location! The grasscloth gives them a nice, high end look but you could use pretty scrapbook paper too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really lovely!! I have lots of scallop shells! Like the pearls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these and what a great idea adding glass cloth to the back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job, Liz - they are so cute and the pearls are a nice touch. You should share this at our current blog hop: http://nauticalcottageblog.com/2012/01/blog-hop-linky-party-decorating-resolution-3/

    beach hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute! I need to do this with some of my shells from FL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will be checking out your Etsy Store foreshore (for sure).
    I have added you to my BLOG * LOVE list just for being gorgeous in everything you do.
    Tania Maree xx (from Australia)

    ReplyDelete